Sally C. Tseng’s Professional Development Grant 2023-2024
Please see the following call for applications for the Sally C. Tseng’s Professional Development Grant 2023-2024. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!
The purpose of the Sally C. Tseng Professional Development Grant is to support research and program related activities by CALA members. A grant in the amount of US$1,000 will be awarded annually to an individual recipient or multiple recipients from the same project. Proposals must focus on program and research in library and information science with the goal of advancing the INDIVIDUAL’S professional status, knowledge, and contributions to the community. Proposals will be evaluated by the criteria identified in these guidelines.
- Any CALA member in good standing can apply.
- The applicant must demonstrate interest in library research and professional development by publishing a paper or delivering a presentation at a conference, institute, or workshop sponsored by professional library organizations such as the American Library Association, the Chinese American Librarians Association, the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, the Library Society of China, Library Association of China.
- A CALA member who has received the Tseng’s Grant must wait for five years before applying for the grant again.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have never received the Tseng’s Grant.
C. How to Apply
The applicant should submit one (1) complete set of his/her application package electronically in Word and/or PDF files via email attachments to the Chairs of the Sally C. Tseng Professional Development Grant Subcommittee, Yuan Li at email@example.com
and Liana Hong Zhou at firstname.lastname@example.org
D. Application Package
A complete application package should be submitted in English and must include the following items:
- Cover Letter - A brief professional statement (350 words or less) explaining the applicant’s interest and background in library research and career goals, including the needs, goals, and objectives of the proposed research/project.
- Timetable for Completion.
- Three letters of reference with name, title, institution, email address and signature.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
The application package must be received by the Chairs via emails with all required attachments. Application materials will not be returned to applicants.
E. Deadline of Application
The complete application package must be received no later than March 15, 5 p.m. EST, 2024. Late and/or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted nor considered.
F. Funding Sources
- Funding is derived from the dividends of the Sally C. Tseng Investment Fund which has been donated to CALA by the Tseng’s family and Sally’s friends that will be awarded to the best applicant in the amount of US$1,000.00 annually.
- The Sally C. Tseng’s Professional Development Grant is coordinated by CALA Sally C. Tseng’s Professional Development Grant Subcommittee.
- The Grant may be suspended in the case of no qualified applicant or in the case of economic recession that impacts the Tseng’s Investment Fund which has been invested in a mutual fund account.
G. Funding Period
One year, July - June.
- The Chair or Co-Chairs of the Sally C. Tseng Professional Development Grant Subcommittee will notify the successful applicant in May prior to the ALA Annual Conference.
- The recipient will be announced on the CALA listserv, CALA Newsletter, and CALA Web, and CALA social media.
- The successful recipient will be asked to submit a photograph to be used in Grant publicity.
- The Sally C. Tseng Professional Development Grant will be awarded at the CALA Awards Banquet during the ALA Annual Conference.
I. CALA Award Banquet and Report
- The successful recipient will be invited to the CALA Annual Awards Banquet by the CALA President when the Grant will be presented to the recipient during the ALA annual conference.
- The Tseng’s Grant recipient is required to submit a written report to the CALA Executive Director and Sally C. Tseng before the next ALA Annual Conference.
In case the terms of the grant are violated, the grant will be rescinded, and the recipient will be required to return the fund in full to the Tseng’s Investment Fund Account in CALA.
Please email questions, if any, to any of the committee members listed below:
Liana Zhou (co-chair) email@example.com
Jia Mi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Esther Lee, email@example.com
Denise Kwan, firstname.lastname@example.org