Call for Applications (2015-2016)
The pursuit of excellence in research and service was what defined the career of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and a devoted and accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The establishment of this memorial fund is to honor the memory of Jing Liao by encouraging CALA members to strive for excellence in research in all media.
Guidelines for Application
- An award in the amount of $500 will be granted annually to the author(s) of the winning publication;
- A supplemental travel grant in the amount of $500 will be awarded to the author(s) to attend the Annual CALA Award Banquet with proof of attendance when fund available;
- Applicants must be CALA members in good standing for at least three consecutive years, including the award year;
- Applicants must demonstrate excellence in scholarly research by publishing works in any media (e.g. print, multi-media, or e-Journals including Open Access journals);
- Applicants may submit one work, in either English or Chinese, published in the previous year for consideration;
- Applicants may submit one single work (in either English or Chinese) published in 2015 for consideration;
- Applicants must not be past recipients of the award.
For applications, please submit the followings:
- A short cover letter including a statement of your CALA membership history and current status;
- Full-text of your publication in PDF format;
- A complete citation of your publication in Chicago, APA, or MLA style, including its DOI link or URL if available;
- A copy of your recent curriculum vitae.
- Originality of the research;
- Quality and thoroughness of the research and its presentation;
- Contribution to the subject field;
- Significance to the library profession and to the library community.
The award will be presented at the annual CALA Award Banquet. The announcement of the award should include the following about the fund:
This fund was established in memory of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and an accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It aims to encourage CALA members to strive for excellence in research.
The Supplemental Travel Fund was initiated in 2015 for supporting awardee(s) participating ALA/CALA Annual Conference. The grant will be awarded annually along with Jing Liao Award when fund available.