The Chinese American Library Association (CALA) offers several scholarship opportunities which are designed to encourage professional and leadership development in Chinese American librarianship. They are open to full-time students of Chinese heritage who are currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited master's or doctoral program of library and information science at an institution of higher education in North America (with the exception of The Huang Tso-ping and Wu Yao-yu Research and Scholarship).
You can apply for any of the following scholarships through a single online application (see the Related Information section below). Review the following
s information for additional details for each scholarship.
- CALA Scholarship of Library and Information Science, $1000
- This scholarship awards annually to a full time student at an ALA-accredited library school in North America.
- Huang Tso-ping and Wu Yao-yu Research and Scholarship Award, $800
- This scholarship awards faculty and students at the Wuhan University, China. One award is for a library school faculty member ($400) and two awards go to library school students ($200 each).
- Sheila Suen Lai Scholarship of Library and Information Science, $250
- This scholarship awards to a full time student at an ALA-accredited library school in North America.
- Lisa Zhao Scholarship Fund, $500
- This scholarship is established to celebrate Lisa Zhao’s retirement and accomplishments as a librarian who was the 2013/2014 President and is a longtime member of CALA. The scholarship awards to a full time student at an ALA-accredited library school in North America.
The scholarship process is open annually from November through March. Applications and reference forms are available during this time period. Instructions and general information remain available throughout the year. PLEASE NOTE: You only need to complete ONE online application regardless of the number of scholarships you apply for. You may apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible for by checking the appropriate boxes on the application form. Applications and reference forms much be submitted online.
The following items are required for all scholarship applications.
- Required. Completed online application.
- Required. Curriculum vita.
- Required. Personal statement.
- Required. Three letters of reference. The reference letter form is available on the CALA Scholarship homepage.
- Required. An official academic transcript from institutions where you are currently enrolled in a MLIS program. If you are not currently enrolled in a MLIS program, but will be enrolled in a MLIS program, submit the official academic transcript from institutions where you received your bachelors degree.
- Required. Verification of admission to an ALA-accredited graduate LIS program as a full-time student and/or proof of current full-time enrollment status.
Note: The completion of the application is the responsibility of the applicant.
If you have questions or concerns about the application process, please contact the CALA Scholarship Committee.