About Advisory Board Corporate Sponsors Awards Banquet Task Force Photos
Project News: International Outreach, Spectrum Fundraising, Emerging Leader 40/40 Project, Technology
Diversity and Global Reach in a Digital Age: A Renewed Vision and Re-energized Commitment
The 2011-12 CALA Presidential Initiatives are derived from CALA's mission and are aimed at achieving CALA’s vision and strategic goals to make the organization a leading librarians' organization which advances diversity and equality of library services to the library communities worldwide through the excellence of this organization and its members. There are three key words/phrases in the theme of this year's CALA Presidential Initiatives: Diversity, International Collaboration, and Technology Integration. Theme related projects have been carried out by many CALA officers and members. CALA's activities and initiatives in diversity and international collaboration and outreach are also in line with the ALA strategic goals under the leadership of President Molly Raphael.
- Betty Turock, Former ALA President, Professor and Dean Emeritus, School of Communication and Information, Rutgers University
- Michael Dowling, Director of the Chapter Relations and International Relations Offices, ALA
- Miguel Figueroa, Director of Offices for Diversity and OLOS, ALA
- Clara Chu, Chair and Professor, Department of Library and Information Studies, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Michael Porter, President & CEO of Library Renewal, LJ Mover and Shaker 2009, elected ALA councilor and member of the Executive Board
Corporate Sponsors for 2011-12 CALA Presidential Initiatives:
CALA Awards Banquet - Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:30-10:00PM
The 2012 CALA Awards Banquet held at King Harbor Seafood Restaurant was a huge success! Attended by about 140 library leaders and dignitaries, award honorees, friends and colleagues, this gala event celebrated the excellence in librarianship and the success in promoting diversity and international collaboration. Click here read more information about the Banquet (http://cala-web.org/node/1534#Banquet). Please view some photos at Flickr.
CALA would like to thank the generous support from the following Banquet Sponsors:
2012 CALA Awards Banquet Sponsors:
Projects and Activities:
- CALA Joined IFLA
- CALA Co-Sponsored Global Children's Librarianship Conference, held on August 8-10, 2011 in New York City. CALA NE Chapter hosted 79 library administrators and librarians from China.
- CALA Co-Sponsored Symposium on Dr. Hwa-Wei Lee's Thoughts on Librarianship, 李华伟博士图书馆学术思想研讨会, held on November 17, 2011 at the Shenzhen Library in Shenzhen, China
- CALA Co-organizes “The International Conference on Leadership and Innovative Management in Academic Libraries in the Age of New Technology” with Tongji University
- CALA announced Presidential Initiative Mini-Grant in the amount of $250 to CALA presenters at the International Conference on Leadership and Innovative Management in Academic Libraries in the Age of New Technology. Thanks to the support of SAGE Publications, Wisers Information Limited, and Emerald Inc.
- International Conference on Leadership and Innovative Management in Academic Libraries in the Age of New Technology: Outcome of the review process
- News Report on the American Libraries about the International Conference on Leadership and Innovative Management in Academic Libraries in the Age of New Technology
- CALA’s signature program “21st Century Librarian Seminar Series” has been resumed after a two-year hiatus. A team has been selected for the seminar to take place from July 5-9, 2012 at Yunnan University of Nationalities, Kunming, Yunnan Province, China.
- A Breakthrough: First CALA Board Virtual Meeting Via Webinar
Last fall, the Presidential Initiative Task Force had a “test drive” on using webinar to conduct online meetings, and the feedback was very positive. The webinar meeting will enable us to conduct a meeting more like an in-person one and get things done in a very effective manner. On February 24, 2012, CALA Board held its first webinar meeting and had much business taken care of within one hour. Thanks go to board members who embraced the "brave new world" to make the first Board webinar meeting a success! Special thanks go to Bin Zhang for his expertise and technical support to make it possible!
- CALA Facebook
Thanks to Sai Deng's efforts, CALA is on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/CALA-Chinese-American-Librarians-Association/281336511932864. You are welcome to visit us and send news or photos to Sai Deng to share with everyone.