Karen Wei, Chair
Heather Huibin Cai
Vickie Fu Doll
Is this an interim or annual report? Interim report
List significant activities the committee has done since last report:
The Committee consists of five members with three continuing and two new members. The new members were appointed by the current CALA President, Esther Lee in August 2012.
The Committee reviewed the Guidelines for Application and Selection developed and adopted by the 2011-2012 Committee. The new committee also made some revisions to the 2011-2012 Guidelines by clarifying that each applicant may only submit one entry for the competition to allow maximum participation by interested CALA members.
The Committee established the following timeline/action items for 2013:
1. Coverage of the research publications - must be published in 2012;
2. A call for submission/application will be posted at CALA listserv/website in mid-January 2013 to allow inclusion of November/December 2012 publications;
3. Deadline for submission is set for April 1; reminders will be sent at least twice before the deadline;
4. Members begin to review applications shortly after the submission deadline;
5. Members send to the Chair their ranked top three choices with comments explaining their selection by May 1; Chair gathers all entries ranked by the committee members to determine the ranking of the final three entries;
6. Chair writes up the recommendations for members to review/input;
7. Chair contacts the donor for his review and final selection;
8. Chair submits the recommendation to CALA President/Executive Officer and posts the results to the CALA listserv/website.
The updated Guidelines are attached below.
Guidelines for Application and Selection – revised, December 2012
The CALA Annual Jing Liao Award for the Best Research in All Media
Guidelines for 2013
1. One award in the amount of $500 will be granted in 2013.
2. Applicants must be CALA members in good standing for at least three consecutive years, including the year of application;
3. Applicants must demonstrate excellent in research by publishing works in print, multi-media, or e-Journals, including Open Access Journals;
4. Applicants may submit only one work published in 2012 for consideration;
5. The past Best Research Award winner is not eligible to apply.
1. Originality of the research;
2. Appropriateness of research in relation to the purpose of the award;
3. Significance to the library profession and to the library community;
4. Contributions to the subject fields;
5. Quality and thoroughness of the research;
1. The Committee reviews all applicants based on the above criteria;
2. The Committee recommends 2-3 finalists to the donor;
3. The donor reviews the finalists and makes the final decision.
4. The Committee informs the CALA President/Executive Director the Committee selection;
5. The Committee Chair announces the winner at CALA listserv/website;
6. The award will be presented and a citation read at the CALA Award Banquet held annually.
7. The citation should include the following about the fund:
The pursuit of excellence in research and service defined the career of Jing Liao (1954-2011), the late CALA member and a devoted and accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. CALA Jing Liao Best Research Award is established to honor the memory of Jing Liao by awarding CALA members who achieve excellence in research in any media.