University of Utah: Head of Technical Services
University of Utah
Position: Head of Technical Services
Deadline: Applications requested by September 5, 2008.
The J. Willard Marriott Library has new librarian leadership opportunities as a result of the implementation of an innovative organizational restructuring and the completion of a $90 million, state of the art library renovation. We are moving quickly to new models of service and leadership. This position offers the opportunity to be a part of our transforming library.
Position Description: Reporting to the Marriott Library's Associate Director for Scholarly Resources and Collections, the Head of Technical Services provides dynamic and innovative leadership for the evolving areas of acquisitions (both monographic and serial, in all formats) and metadata creation and management in the Marriott Library, the main library of the University of Utah. The HTS directly supervises the managers of the Monographs, Serials, MARC Metada and Digital Collections Metadata units, taking responsibility for the overall operational effectiveness and efficiency of those areas and establishing policies and procedures that anticipate the future directions of the scholarly communication marketplace, the priorities of the University of Utah, and the needs of the Libraries’ patrons. S/he will develop goals, policies, and workflows, foster staff development, and guide the division into an increasingly digital and patron-centered future.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct supervision of four unit managers.
- Administration of all Technical Services areas including monographic and serial acquisitions (including copy cataloging) and both MARC and non-MARC metadata creation.
- Participate in oversight and management of the acquisitions budget.
- Participate as a member of the Marriott Advisory Committee, and on other committees as assigned.
- Manage and serve as primary contact for the integrated library system.
- Work with Technical Services staff in the Quinney Law and Eccles Health Sciences libraries to coordinate policies and procedures and enhance consistency and cooperation between the two libraries.
- Oversee the hiring and training of new personnel as well as recommendations for retention, promotion, and salary raises.
- Ensure the documentation of policies and procedures of all aspects of the work done in Technical Services.
- Plan and coordinate departmental meetings and other means of departmental communication.
- Support and promote the libraries' initiatives related to scholarly communication.
- ALA-accredited MLS degree.
- 5-7 years of experience in one or (preferably) more library technical services areas.
- Significant management experience, preferably including management of multiple departments/divisions.
- Excellent supervisory, administrative, planning, analytic, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Understanding of technical services issues and workflows.
- Clear evidence of leadership, communication and collaborative ability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AACRII, MARC, CONTENTdm and other relevant metadata protocols and systems.
- Openness to change and a willingness to question and reexamine fundamental. assumptions of technical services work.
- Patron-centered attitude.
- Strong technology skills.
- Ability to meet University requirements for tenure.
- Ability to meet the Marriott Library Organizational Competencies Expectations, found at: http://tinyurl.com/6r54lr.
Salary and Benefits: Head of Technical Services $70,000+ depending on qualifications. Excellent benefits including TIAA-CREF (14.2 University contribution) medical, dental, 25 days of annual vacation, 12 days sick leave, eligibility for sabbatical and professional development time.
Application Procedure – Send a detailed letter of application, curriculum vitae and contact information of three references to:
Human Resources Director
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
RANK AND SALARY: Senior Assistant or Associate Librarian. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience.
Applications received by September 5, 2008 will be given full consideration. The University of Utah is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer, encourages application from women and minorities, and provides reasonable accommodations to the known disabilities of applicants and employees. The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse background and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.