Reference Librarian and First-Year Experience Coordinator
(Tenure Track: Assistant Professor)
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library of The University of Montana is located in Missoula, in the heart of the Northern Rockies and tremendous recreational opportunities. Missoula also serves as the region's cultural center and is home to a growing number of nationally recognized writers and other artists.
The University of Montana has an enrollment of over 13,000 and provides a broad curriculum that strikes a balance between a strong liberal arts education and professional programs. The College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, the College of Technology, and seven accredited professional schools – Business Administration, Education, Fine Arts, Forestry and Conservation, Journalism, Law, and Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences – complete the University on the Missoula campus. Affiliated campuses include the College of Technology of The University of Montana, Helena; Montana Tech of The University of Montana, Butte; and The University of Montana Western, Dillon.
The University of Montana seeks a service-oriented, energetic Reference Librarian and First-Year Experience Coordinator for a 12-month tenure-track faculty position with rank of assistant professor.
Reporting to and under the general direction of the Head, Information & Research Services Division, this position is responsible for providing reference assistance and coordinating all aspects of first-year experience and lower-division general education library outreach under the auspices of the Library Instruction Program.
The Reference Librarian and First-year Experience Coordinator:
- participates as a reference team member;
- provides user-centered general and specialized reference assistance with both traditional and electronic information resources;
- integrates bibliographic instruction into first-year experience and lower-division general education curriculum and campus initiatives in collaboration with the Library Instruction Program;
- facilitates outreach to first-year experience and lower-division general education students and faculty in collaboration with subject librarians;
- provides continuing education for team members; and
- participates in evening and weekend rotations.
As a reference librarian, the successful candidate will serve as liaison to specific departments within The University of Montana, providing curriculum-integrated library instruction, collection development, and outreach to faculty. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned to meet the changing requirements and dynamics of the Information & Research Services Division and the Mansfield Library. Librarians are expected to participate in research and service activities that promote their professional effectiveness within institutional needs. Scholarly activity (broadly defined) and campus/professional service will be required for tenure and promotion. Work assignments may include a mixture of day, evening, and multi-campus hours.
- ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS);
- experience or education in the use of traditional and electronic information resources;
- ability to craft instructional web pages and handouts;
- ability to work in a team environment and build working relationships with campus colleagues and patrons;
- strong service orientation;
- strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly;
- ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a changing environment; and
- ability to meet standards for achieving tenure and promotion, including research leading to peer reviewed publications.
- Conversant with first-year experience programs and emergent trends in academic librarianship; and
- Experience with instruction
Rank and Salary
Position is a 12-month, tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor.
Salary: competitive and commensurate with experience
The University of Montana offers a comprehensive benefits package including TIAA-CREF. Candidates applying by June 15, 2006 will be given first consideration. To apply, please submit a letter of application, a resume, and a list of three recent professional references to:
c/o Kathy Hendricks
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
Background Investigation is Required Prior to Offer of Employment
In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigation.
The University of Montana is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from minorities, Vietnam era veterans, and women. This position announcement can be made available in alternative formats upon request. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ preference in accordance with State law.