Wesleyan University: CTW Consortium Librarian
Position: CTW Consortium Librarian
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2006 and will continue until the position is filled.
The CTW Library Consortium is comprised of Connecticut College, Trinity College and Wesleyan University. Founded in 1986, it provides services to its members through collaborative library efforts. It shares library collections and an ILS system, as well as staff expertise, programming, and professional development opportunities. The CTW Library Consortium recently migrated to the Endeavor Voyager ILS System. The ILS supports combined collections of over 3 million volumes and services an intra-library borrowing program for over 6,000 students and about 1000 faculty members.
The CTW Consortium Librarian is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the CTW operations, including strategic planning, systems development and project management. The position is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the library automation systems shared by the three member libraries and facilitates their use by the Consortium staff.
Related responsibilities include facilitating communication among CTW libraries, coordinating operations with Wesleyan’s ITS department, and acting as CTW representative with contracted vendors. The CTW Consortium Librarian secures and enhances the functionality of the ILS, facilitates its use by consortium staff, and assists with training and documentation.
The position reports to the Wesleyan University Librarian and has consultative reporting relationships with the Vice President for Information Services and the Librarian of Connecticut College and the College Librarian at Trinity College. The position supervises the CTW Interlibrary Loan operation, including its driver, vehicle and delivery service.
- In collaboration with the Wesleyan ITS Department, oversees the operations of the ILS system; recommends, plans and implements system upgrades; and ensures the security of the system.
- Serves as liaison between Wesleyan’s ITS and CTW library staff; provides staff training and technical assistance; and maintains systems documentation
- Prepares logs, reports and statistical data as necessary for independent reports and as requested by staff from CTW member libraries
- Maintains technical expertise about the ILS; attends advanced technical training seminars, ILS annual meetings, vendor presentations or as required
- Provides programming and technical expertise in the development and integration of library systems including analyzing, designing, and implementing (including programming and coding) enhancements to the installed library software. Such enhancements include database loads, extracts, reports, and other automated functions. Also evaluates, tests, monitors, installs patches and upgrades, and debugs system software.
- Verifies that custom enhancements continue to function after patches and upgrades.
- Informs CTW members about new technological developments and provides technical expertise for informed decisions on adoption of new technologies
- Supervises the CTW Interlibrary loan operation, including its driver, vehicle and delivery service
- Develops productive partnerships among consortium members; visits regularly all consortium member libraries; reports on CTW Steering Committee meetings; provides an annual report on CTW activities and plans; establishes and maintains a CTW web site.
- Engages in strategic thinking and planning on consortia relationships and activities with benefit to all three CTW members
- Explores and proposes innovative services within the resources of the consortium; provides leaderships for consortium wide endeavors and acts as project manager.
- Negotiates favorable consortium vendor agreements; acts as the CTW representative for contracted vendor services
- Participates in policy and funding decisions for the consortium; explores and recommends collaborations that reduce service redundancies and are cost and resource beneficial to consortium members
MLS from an ALA accredited program. Two years experience in academic library technology. Thorough understanding of academic library operations and services. Proven knowledge of current and emerging library technologies, including experience with integrated library systems and networks. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Demonstrated leadership and project management skills. Proven ability to work collaboratively with staff and in partnership with committees and directors. Ability to assess and interpret technology for benefit to consortium members and strong commitment to responsive and innovative services. Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate consensus.
Experience managing budgets and supervising professional staff.
To apply, please go to: http://careers.wesleyan.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=50461