Western Washington University Libraries: Head of Reference and Instruction Services
Western Washington University Libraries
Position: Head of Reference and Instruction Services
Deadline: To ensure full consideration, application material must be received by January 15, 2007.
Western Washington University Libraries seeks a librarian with vision, flexibility, enthusiasm, initiative, decisiveness, and strong service orientation to provide leadership and direction to its Reference and Instruction Services Department. This is a key position in Western’s Libraries for designing, administering and assessing user-centered library support to students, faculty and staff in their pursuits of scholarship of research and learning. To accomplish these objectives, the successful candidate should be well informed of trends in scholarly communication, information technologies, and higher education; and have experience in managing change and flexibility in response to user expectations.
This is a full time tenured faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor. The candidate’s record must show sufficient professional accomplishments to warrant the terms of this appointment. The position reports directly to the University Librarian and is member of the two management groups in the library: the Department Heads and the Libraries’ Faculty. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position will be available July 1, 2007.
- Provides leadership in shaping, prioritizing, marketing, delivering, and assessment of an excellent reference service to meet the changing needs of the university community.
- Leads strategic planning and assessment for services provided by the department
- Establishes procedures and develops policies for the department
- Investigates new ideas and innovations in reference and instruction
- Supervises four staff workers and ten librarians
- Works closely and collaborates with other library departments and the academic community
- Coordinates ongoing training for the department
- Participates in the performance of reference duties and bibliographic instruction as other duties permit
- Coordinates the selection of materials for the reference collection
- Performs duties as assigned by the University Librarian
To ensure full consideration, application material must be received by January 15, 2007.
Full information about the position, including qualifications, is available at the application web site. Interested candidates must apply online at http://west.wwu.edu/admcs/WWUApplyOnline/JobPosting.aspx?JPID=129
The online application should include a vita and a cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications.
The applicant should arrange to have three letters of recommendation submitted directly to:
Connie Mallison, Search Committee Coordinator
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225-9103
or email to Connie.Mallison@wwu.edu
For more information, contact the Search Coordinator, Connie Mallison at (360)650-3051 or email Connie.Mallison@wwu.edu.