University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center Auraria Library: Instruction Librarian
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center Auraria Library
Position: Instruction Librarian
Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 15, 2007 and will continue until the position is filled.
12 Month Tenured or Tenure-Track Position
Position Number: 350239
Appointment Date of July 1, 2007
The Auraria Library is seeking a creative, self-starting person to serve as a full-time instruction librarian.
The Auraria Library is located in the heart of downtown Denver on a multi-institutional diverse campus serving the students, faculty, and staff of the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center (UCDHSC), Downtown Denver Campus, Metropolitan State College of Denver, and the Community College of Denver .
As one of three institutions within the University of Colorado system, UCDHSC is an urban institution with 3 locations in the Denver metro area. UCDHSC is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The downtown campus is located in the heart of the city’s commercial, cultural and recreational district. UCDHSC’s location in downtown Denver attracts a diverse population, comprising primarily commuters, many of whom are non-traditional students. This diversity is enriched by UCDHSC’s commitment to a philosophy of inclusion, embedded in all aspects of campus life from its community members, curriculum, research and community service, allowing for the creation of a learning environment that welcomes, embraces, sustains and celebrates the unique and shared experiences of faculty, staff and students.
The Library is dedicated to providing an environment which stimulates and nourishes the growth of ideas. This is accomplished through collections and services that support the curriculum, ranging from vocational training to doctoral programs. For more information about the Library and the campus, visit: http://library.cudenver.edu
The Instruction Librarian reports to the Head of Instruction and is responsible for a wide variety of duties, which may include, but not limited to:
- developing and promoting instructional programs;
- contributing to technology-based instruction initiatives and projects;
- preparing and presenting instruction sessions for the diverse constituencies on the Auraria campus;
- serving as library instruction liaison to campus business programs;
- teaching library research classes in business, legal research and related disciplines as well as introductory level library research sessions, both credit earning and single session classes;
- participating in Library Reference services that include weekday, evening and weekend hours;
- participating in professional development and scholarly activities;
- serving on library and university committees as elected or assigned.
- graduate degree in Library and/or Information Science or foreign equivalent;
- library instruction experience;
- demonstrated excellent communication skills;
- demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues, faculty, support staff and students;
- demonstrated expertise in the application of information literacy, assessment and pedagogical techniques in library instruction;
- strong interest in providing instruction and reference services;
- commitment to public services;
- expertise with electronic and internet resources;
- strong aptitude with technology;
- ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students, and staff;
- ability to be flexible in a dynamic and changing environment; ability to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- commitment to conduct independent scholarship consistent with a tenure track appointment;
- commitment to engage independently in continuing professional development.
- ALA-accredited graduate degree
- degree in business or related area;
- experience teaching credit earning courses in library research, classroom based, or online;
- experience creating online tutorials;
- knowledge of web editing and development software tools such as Dreamweaver;
- experience with creating web-based research guides.
Position Classification and Salary Range
This is a full-time tenure-track/tenured faculty position with a minimum salary of $43,260 depending on experience, qualifications, and rank. To be appointed with tenure, one must be tenured at a comparable academic institution and meet the Auraria Library’s criteria for tenure and promotion. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/pbs/
Applicants should provide the following:
- A letter of application detailing how your education, background and experience relate to the required and preferred qualifications.
- A current resume.
- Three professional references and their contact information.
Applications are accepted electronically and should be sent to Tom Beck at Thomas.J.Beck@cudenver.edu.
Final candidates will be expected to provide a writing sample and a portfolio reflecting instructional activity. All materials received become the property of the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center .
Review of applications will begin January 15, 2007 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations as a condition of employment for all prospective employees.