Brooklyn Public Library
Position: Central Library Director
Deadline: Open until filled.
The Central Library Director represents BPL in the community and establishes networks with colleagues and other library and cultural institution professionals. The Central Library Director will be a member of the Executive Management Team, working collaboratively with other BPL departments on strategic goals. This position reports to the Deputy Director for Public Service.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- Developing unique library programs and services
- Cultivation of Plaza & Auditorium as new spaces for innovative programming and destination for Brooklynites and new audiences
- Managing and motivating a large team
- Building dynamic collections, with emphasis on expanding the Library’s ability to deliver information services in a digital age
- Develops and monitors the Central Library budgets
- Develops and monitors Division work plans
- Oversight of Business Library
- Works closely with the Office of Planning, Design and Facilities to ensure capital projects are monitored and status communicated to staff as warranted
- As part of Senior Public Service Managers team, collaborates on all initiatives that impact public service, identifying new projects for consideration
- Participates as member of system-wide cross-functional teams
- Five years supervisory or administrative experience in a public or academic library
- Substantial experience working in a multicultural urban environment, and collaborative work with community groups and organizations
- Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication including the ability to make a presentation to a community group or other audience. Proven ability to interpret and apply library policy; to analyze and solve problems; to generate new ideas; to organize and manage complex activities; and to formulate and carry out a coordinated plan of effective service.
- Flexibility and the willingness to learn, adapt, and a commitment to professional development. Willingness to participate in professional activities and to expand on professional knowledge; awareness of library trends, directions, and best practices.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Working knowledge of Integrated Library System to manage circulation and user information, electronic reference resources including the Internet, and Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated experience working with professional organizations on committees, on projects and initiatives.
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Successful track record of supervising and collaborating with staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive, yet ensures accountability.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and implement change
- MLS from an ALA accredited library school
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to:
Brooklyn Public Library
Human Resource Department
Staffing & Recruitment Division
Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn NY, 11238