Environmental Denfense: Information Management Specialist
Position: Information Management Specialist
Deadline: Open until filled.
For forty years, protecting the environment and human health has been the mission of Environmental Defense. Today Environmental Defense has over 300 employees in ten offices throughout the country and China, working to protect the environmental rights of all people, including the right to clean air, clean water, healthy food, and flourishing ecosystems. Its budget of over $70 million is supported by its 500,000 members and by grants from foundations, corporations and government.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, founded in 1967 as the Environmental Defense Fund, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense is the only environmental group to receive an A rating from Wired magazine.
The Information Management Specialist will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of Environmental Defense's evolving enterprise content management strategies and policies. Manage day to day content contributions including review and classification of new submissions. Assist with information architecture projects as related to intranet and external web site development when needed. Assist staff with electronic research needs. Manage information and research related vendors such as Lexis/Nexis and Web of Science.
The Information Management Specialist will be expected to excel at the following:
- Development and management of Environmental Defense taxonomy and meta data for Enterprise Content Management System.
- Ongoing development of metadata, cataloging policies and best practices.
- Maintain metadata documentation.
- Continually augment and refine organizational taxonomy to meet existing and emerging organization needs. Analyze web analytic software for search terms to refine taxonomy as needed.
- Provide support for guidance to staff as to appropriate placement and classification of content.
- Records Management (retention and archive policies)
- Manage the development and maintenance of the organization's records management policies. (contracts, compliance, off site storage)
- Manage content lifecycles.
- Collection management
- Catalog, classify and review new content as submitted.
- Manage digital asset library.
- Oversee Environmental Defense special collection housed at Stonybrook University.
- Management of research sources and vendors
- Web of Science
- Wealth Engine
- Provide support to program research associates, centralize resources, identify best sources.
- Search optimization
- Optimize enterprise search through controlled vocabulary, ontology, related terms development.
- Information architecture support for intranet, web sites and other information systems as needed.
Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have:
- MLS/MLIS degree from an accredited ALA institution
- Experience with taxonomy development. Familiarity with folksonomies and other meta data strategies
- Knowledge of standards, procedures and practices used for information lifecycle management
- Experience in the development, management and maintenance of policies
- Knowledge of records management and imaging systems
- Experience with enterprise content management systems, search engines and other relevant technical applications. Knowledge of Tower Trim Context a plus.
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Self starter with ability to work independently
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should forward their cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Assistant Director, Human Resources Services
257 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010