University of California: Bibliographic Services Programmer
University of California
Position: Bibliographic Services Programmer
Deadline: Application requested by March 6, 2008.
Job #: 20070471.
Salary Range: $66,900 - $132,500 (Minimum of Range - Maximum of Range)
The California Digital Library (CDL) is a collaborative effort of the University of California designed to enable UC's libraries to continue to meet the informational needs of UC's faculty and students in the 21st century. The CDL assumes a leadership role in providing digital content to the citizens of the State, develops systems that encourage resource sharing, and provides for a focus for the development of strategies and initiatives that guide the University's libraries through the transition to the digital future. Reporting to the Technical Lead, Bibliographic Services, this position is one of eight programmer/analyst positions in the Bibliographic Services Group responsible for the technical design, implementation, maintenance, and operation of the CDL'sbibliographic systems (the Melvyl Union Catalog, UC-eLinks, Request) as well as providing technical leadership in the design, development and implementation of new systems.
For more information, please visit http://www.cdlib.org
Bachelor's degree in computer science, information management or science, or a related field and eight to ten years of experience in information technology which includes at least five years experience designing and writing complex production level systems in Java and C as well as providing technical expertise, direction and support for the development, design, modification and maintenance of complex applications with multiple components and interrelationships with other software, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated ability to plan and perform technical project management tasks required to coordinate major software installations and version upgrades over sustained timeframes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with UNIX OS and shell scripting as well as a thorough knowledge of and experience with database design and relational databases (for example MySQL, Oracle) and of web-based applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to interact with others in a consistently positive manner, exercising discretion and tact.
- Excellent oral communications skills which demonstrate the ability to effectively convey and explain information, liaise with vendors and tactfully deal with diverse people, situations and ideas.
- Excellent written communications skills which demonstrate the ability to draft clear, concise and specifications, documentation and reports.
- Strong analytical skills as demonstrated by the ability to draw conclusions in a logical, systematic way.
- Demonstrated ability to plan assignments and monitor performance according to priorities as demonstrated by regularly meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform competently under pressure, handling interruptions and changes without losing productivity.
University of California (UC), one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in theworld, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The UC Office of the President is the corporate headquarters to the ten campuses, five medical centers and two Department of Energy National Labsand enrolls premier students from California, the nation, and the world. University benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance effective on the first day of employment, a generous sick, vacation and paid holiday program, an excellent retirement savings and investment plan, and more.
To apply for this position, please be prepared to attach your resume and cover letter as part of the application process.
How to Apply:
For a complete job description or to apply for this position, please visit http://jobs.ucop.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52087
Please be prepared to attach your resume and cover letter as part of the application process.
To review a complete list of all of UCOP’s open positions please visit the University of California Office of the President Employment Website: http://jobs.ucop.edu
University of California is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer.