2007-2008 President's Report
June 29, 2008
21st Century Librarian Seminar Series ¡V 5 seminars were conducted in China, 2007
- at a) Northeast Normal University at Changchun City, Jilin Province, b) Shanxi Agricultural University, c) Yunnan Normal University, d) Yunnan Provincial Library, e) Dongguan Public Library, Guangdong
Conferences and Programs:
- I represented CALA at the LSC Conference along with a delegation team of
6 members (Guoqing Li, Shuyong Jiang, Songqian Lu, Miao Hong, and HuaYi)
Xudong Jin and Haipeng Li attend the 4th Annual China-US Conference in Dublin, Ohio on behalf of CALA
2007 Annual CALA Conference Program - Librarians of the 21st Century: developing solutions to new challenges at the global, national and local levels.
- CALA Membership Database migrated to the web and CALA had a chance to experiment with it.
- Brand new design of our membership directory
- Mentorship Program official has a name changed to Mentoring Program
- Branch new CALA Brochure to enhance the promotion of CALA
- Guideline adopted for placing ads on CALA Library Jobline
- Allocated Seed Money for JCLC II conference
- Approved Mr. Haipeng Li as the 2008 Distinguished Service Award Recipient.
- Adopted new guidelines for vendor support (PR/Fundraising Committee)
- Supported 2 emerging leaders to attend Midwinter Conference: Vincci Kwong and Ying Zhong each with $500.
- $1000 donation for National Database for national Asian Pacific American collections of all subjects and formats held by major libraries in the world in honor of Dr. Hwa Wei Lee's retirement from the Library of Congress.
Approved all donation collected from the Sichuan Earthquake to go to the Library Society of China for distribution of funds to rebuild libraries in Sichuan Provinces and victims.
- Appointed Diana Wu as the new representative to the Diversity Council for 2008-2010 term
- Appointed new English Editorial board with staggering term for JLIS
- Officier's Handbook fully compiled and ready for distribution
- Signed JCLC MOU
- Self Assessment Study Press Release to American Libraries was released on AL Direct (June 26, 2008)
CALA's New Officers:
Zhijia Shen, Vice President/President Elect 2009-2010
Shuyong Jiang, Treasurer, 2008-2010
Board of Directors: 2008-2011
Bin Zhang will serve out the remaining term of Zhijia Shen vacant by her presidency
ALA Election Result: CALA members elected in the ALA election
Camila Alire as ALA President 2009-2010
Dr. Ling Hwey Jeng and Wei Jeng-Chu, re-elected to ALA Council, and Julie Su newly elected to Council
Future Plan of 21st Century Librarian Seminar Series:
- Seminar in Kunming, Yunnan, July 10-13, 2008 (5-member team)
- Seminar in Taiwan, Nov. 10-14, 2008 (3-member team)
- Seminar in Wuhan, Oct. 23-25, 2008. (5-member team)
- Five year contract with Beijing Normal University starting in 2009