IS THIS AN Interim or annual REPORT? _√_ Interim __Annual
LIST SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITIES THE COMMITTEE HAS DONE SINCE LAST REPORT:
- Chapter Significant Activities
- - New Officers Election
Under the timely guidance and professional advice from Haipeng Li, CALA Executive Director, and Sally C. Tseng, CALA Honorary Executive Director, the Southeast Chapter held the first online nomination and election for two chapter officer positions. Ms. Li Zhang, Assistant Professor/Science Librarian at Mississippi State University has been elected Vice-President(2010-2011) and Ms. Jinong Sun, Acquisitions Librarian at Fayetteville State University has been elected Membership Officer (2010-2012) of the Southeast Chapter.
A survey was conducted among all chapter members to gauge members' professional interests and needs. The chapter annual program planning committee will apply the knowledge gained from the survey result in planning our 2011 Annual Program.
- - Mr. Lili Li, Associate Professor/E-Information Services Librarian at Georgia Southern University, and his colleague Lori Lester conducted a presentation titled "Rethinking Information Literacy Instructions in the Digital Age", at the Georgia Conference on Information Literacy 2010 in Savannah, GA.
- - Life member Ms. Yingqi Tang, Distance Education/Electronic Resources Manager at the Houston Cole Library at Jacksonville State University, AL co-authored a peer-reviewed article titled "A Study of Subject Service in Chinese Academic Libraries", which was published in the latest issue (Nov. 2010, No. 7) of CALA's OPS (Occasional Paper Series).
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang (with Loriene Roy) "Collaborative Projects to Recruit Future Librarians From Diverse Backgrounds," in Proceedings: Libraries in a Multicultural Society: Possibilities for the Future, IFLA Section on Library Services to Multicultural Populations Satellite Meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 18, 2010.
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang (Co-presenter), "Encouraging Diversity: Recruiting Librarians for a Multi-Cultural Community," at the NYLA 2010 Annual Conference, sponsored by REFORMA and Ethnic Services Round Table of New York Library Association, in Saratoga Springs, New York, November 3-6, 2010.
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang (Co-Presenter), "Collaborative Projects to Recruit Future Librarians From Diverse Backgrounds," at Libraries in a Multicultural Society: Possibilities for the Future, IFLA Section on Library Services to Multicultural Populations Satellite Meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 18, 2010.
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang, "Preparing the librarians with diverse backgrounds for tomorrow: A collaborative project in North Carolina," at the 6th Annual Joint Mini Conference, New York, May 14, 2010.
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang presented poster sessions on the IMLS funded program, "Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) Scholars Program: Collaborating with Libraries to Recruit and Prepare Ethnic Minority Librarians for the 21 Century - Second Cohort," at the following library conferences:
2010 iDEAL Summit
2010 South Carolina Library Association Annual Conference
2010 IFLA 76th World Library and Information Congress
2010 National Library Diversity Conference
- - Life member Mr. Wenxian Zhang, Professor and Head of Archives & Special Collections at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida, has recently published A Guide to the Top 100 Companies in China (World Scientific Publishing, 2010) with an academic colleague, and received the award of the Arthur Vining Davis Fellowship during the 2010 college commencement. In addition, he and Professor Maurice O'Sullivan of Rollins College were also the recipients of the 2010 Patrick D. Smith Award from the Florida Historical Society for their work on A Trip to Florida for Health and Sport.
- - Our new membership officer, Ms. Jinong Sun, has recently been promoted to the Head of Acquisitions at the Charles W. Chesnutt Library at Fayetteville State University, North Carolina.
- - Life member Ms. Min Tong, Reference/Instruction Librarian at University of Central Florida, has been selected by ALA for its 2011 Emerging Leaders program, with a sponsorship from CALA. Min was also nominated for East Central Director of the Florida Libraries Association Board.
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang, Project Director/Principal Investigator for a federal grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)/Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program , "Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) Scholars Program: Collaborating with Libraries to Recruit and Prepare Ethnic Minority Librarians for the 21 Century - Second Cohort," funded $889,401, in June 2010. The ACE Scholars Program intends to recruit 15 students from underserved communities into a two-year LIS program at University of North Carolina in Greensboro. Press release at http://www.uncg.edu/ure/news/stories/2010/jul/LibraryGrant070210.htm
Professional Organizations Services
- - Life member Dr. Sha Li Zhang has been actively engaged in the following professional organizations:
With the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- IFLA Standing Committee on Acquisitions/Collection Development, 2007-2011.
With American Library Association (ALA):
-- Chair, International Relations Committee, 2010-2011, appointed by the ALA President.
With International Relations Round Table (IRRT):
- - Chair, Nominating Committee
With Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA):
- - Taskforce member on CALA Strategic Plan
- Significant Activities of Member Institutions
- - The University of Florida Smathers Libraries had a week-long exhibit in the Smathers Library lobby 11/15 - 11/19 titled "Chinese Printing from Typeset to Digital Access: Samples from the UF Libraries Asian Studies Collections," in conjunction with an 11/18 7:30 PM presentation "Collecting and Reading in the Early Chinese Print Age" by Dr. Hilde De Weerdt, Oxford University.