Position: Director of Public Libraries
Deadline Date: Application requested by May 15, 2013
The successful applicant for this position should be progressive, collaborative and a team builder, who is an experienced, dynamic and committed professional well aware of current and emerging trends and best practices in public library services.
The Library Director will be responsible for managing a budget of more than
$17 million, a staff of 316 (260 FTE), and reports to the Deputy City
• Leads the Library Executive Team and the department in providing comprehensive, innovative programs, services and resources to ensure free access to information and lifelong learning opportunities for all citizens.
• Nurtures an organizational culture that values consistent, high-quality customer service, teamwork, diversity, creativity, systems-thinking and accountability.
• Promotes reading as a critical life skill and advocates for early literacy curriculum in libraries as the means to prepare children for success in school and life.
• Promotes the Library as an informing presence that safeguards individual expression and reaches into all communities.
• Adapts and employs emerging technologies, innovations and best practices to maintain efficient and innovative service delivery.
• Assertively translates vision and value into actions.
• Builds positive relationships and partnerships and ensures effective library communications to achieve community-wide understanding and support for a broad scope of services.
• Leads organizational initiatives and assignments, serves on teams and committees to support and address City issues; represents the City on designated issues with external agencies and the media.
• Uses feedback and input from throughout the organization and provides recommendations to the City Manager, or designee, on library program or policy innovations, changes, and enhancements.
• Partners with various departments and agencies for effective results, serves in other capacities in support of organizational strategies.
• Represents the Library in dealings with federal, state and local governments, professional associations, library committees, community organizations and the public.
• Liaises with Library Board and Virginia Beach Library Foundation Board; serves as Ex Officio member of the Friends of the Virginia Beach Public Library Board.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or Virginia State Library Certification
• Experience equivalent to 12 years in fields using the required knowledge, skills and abilities, including 5 years in public library administration at the program management or administrator level
Salary & Benefits
Depending on qualifications, the selected candidate will be compensated within the range of $94,212 to $141,318. The City of Virginia Beach also provides a competitive fringe benefits program. Appropriate relocation assistance will be provided.
How to Apply