Cornell University: Discovery Metadata Librarian
Position: Discovery Metadata Librarian
Deadline Date: Application requested by January 31, 2012
Cornell University Library is seeking a creative individual to focus on the creation, maintenance, and enrichment of metadata representing Cornell's digital, physical, and virtual collections of resources. In cooperation with other library staff, this newly-defined position will provide metadata management and resource discovery expertise to Cornell while monitoring external developments and changing needs in these areas. This position will focus on metadata maintenance activities, the integration of metadata between systems, and building better relationships between resources aligning with the broader context of Cornell's digital and programmatic needs. To be successful, close collaboration will be essential in working with library staff devoted to acquisitions, batch processing, electronic resources, repositories, information technologies, and public services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manipulate metadata to provide multiple access points for library resources, regardless of location or format.
- Plan and integrate electronic resources and batch processing work as it relates to cataloging and metadata quality.
- Perform outreach and seek opportunities for collaborative efforts within Library Technical Services and beyond to enhance and broaden metadata operations.
- Oversee the creation and management of metadata for various repositories.
- Develop and provide training to library staff regarding resource description and metadata management.
- Develop an expertise in linked data, semantic web applications, and ontologies for discovery of bibliographic data and information.
- Serve as a metadata consultant to larger library projects/initiatives.
- Serve on a library team to address a better discovery and access solutions for library users.
- Serve as a leader within and beyond Library Technical Services on matters of resource description and metadata management.
- Monitor national and international trends in metadata, cataloging, and discovery.
- Maintain a working knowledge of a variety of library and bibliographic metadata formats, both traditional and emerging.
- Participate in the growing strategic alliance between Columbia University Libraries (2CUL) on cataloging and metadata initiatives.
Application Procedure: Please include a cover letter, resume, and the names, phone numbers, and addresses for three references at this website: http://www.hr.cornell.edu/jobs/positions.html. Application deadline is January 31, 2012. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.