University of Montana: Head of the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
Position: Head of the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
Deadline Date: Application requested by May 24, 2011
As the Head of the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library @ The University of Montana College of Technology (Missoula), you will provide operational leadership of the library; manage collection; ensure effectiveness in use of space, furnishings and equipment; supervise staff; provide instruction on effective use of the UM Library collections and services; serve as a member as appropriate of COT curriculum and planning committees; serve as liaison to UM COT and as a member of the Mansfield Library leadership team.
About UM and Mansfield Library
Located at the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, The University of Montana (UM) is a magnet not only for top-notch faculty and researchers, but also for students from across the country and around the globe. UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture. The UM College of Technology provides outstanding occupational and technical education covering 35 program areas across five academic departments.
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library is the largest library in the state of Montana with a tradition of collaboration with a variety of state and regional library partners and includes a branch library located on the east campus of the UM College of Technology. The Mansfield Library is a leader in the state in the use of technology to extend services and collections to the citizens and university’s global community. It is also the Regional Depository Library for Montana. The Mansfield Library is heavily used by students and researchers as a learning and social place offering opportunities for cultural and intellectual pursuits through its successful instructional programs, displays, special collections and events.
About the job
This position provides operational leadership for the Mansfield Library @ The University of Montana College of Technology-Missoula campuses and provides liaison responsibility to The University of Montana-Missoula Mansfield Library.
This is a tenure track library faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor with a twelve month appointment.
Primary Functions of the Position
- Manages the operation of the ML@COT to ensure optimum access to UM Libraries’ information and services for the faculty, staff and students located at the two UM COT-Missoula campuses. This includes representing and communicating the specific information and services needs of the COT to Mansfield Library Administration in a proactive manner. The position is responsible for the communication of policy, available services and creation of procedures.
- Manages the collections to be located at the ML @COT including selection, space management for collections and participation in collection development planning overall for UM Libraries.
- Works with the Mansfield administration in the planning for the ML@ COT facility to ensure the library is effective in its use of space, furnishings and equipment.
- Provides or ensures the training and development of support staff and students assigned to the ML@COT.
- Provides primary point of instruction for COT students on effective use of the UM Library collections, services and the methodology of conducting research.
- Active member of the Mansfield Library leadership as well as appropriate COT curriculum and planning committees to ensure effective utilization of the library.
- ALA-accredited masters degree in library or information science.
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation, organization, and time management skills.
- Demonstrated skills in use of current technologies as they relate to library services.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects effectively, including organization, prioritization, and goal-setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-focused services.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to meet standards for achieving tenure and promotion.
- Academic library experience, preferably at a 2-year campus and/or community college.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of operational management in library setting.
Minimum Salary: $44,815
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2011 (negotiable)
Application review will begin on May 24, 2011 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Montana is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified minorities, Vietnam era veterans, and women. This material is available in an alternate format upon request. Qualified candidates may request veterans' preference in accordance with state law.