Georgia State University: Science Librarian
Georgia State University
Position: Science Librarian
Deadline Date: Application requested by May 13, 2011
The Georgia State University Library seeks a collegial, committed, and energetic librarian to provide innovative teaching and research support to students and faculty in the natural sciences, with assigned responsibilities to the Department of Biology and the Neuroscience Institute. This position offers an opportunity to participate in instruction programs and develop collections in all formats in biology, neuroscience, and other areas based on background and expertise. This position works collaboratively with the Science Librarian for Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science.
The successful candidate is responsive to and engages both undergraduate and graduate students and has a strong commitment to quality public service. The Science Librarian meets regularly with faculty members to provide information and instruction about library services, collections, and programs. The successful candidate delivers quality, in-depth reference and consultation services; develops library collections in the assigned subject areas; promotes library services and library instruction; and fosters communication between assigned departments and the library. Subject librarians assist with general reference service that includes desk and virtual reference hours and are responsible for some weekend and evening hours. Subject librarians as faculty are expected to serve on library and university committees and engage in scholarly activities.
For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://www.library.gsu.edu
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science
- Experience using research databases and other resources in biology and the natural sciences
- Commitment to innovative and successful user-centered services
- Proficiency in the use of relevant technology for instruction and outreach purposes
- Knowledge of collection development issues and trends
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in biology or a natural science
- Experience in providing research support in an academic library environment, particularly reference and instruction in the natural sciences
- Experience with collection development in sciences or related subject areas, including selection of materials and management of collection budget
- Demonstrated interest in scholarly and professional activities
Salary and Rank
$44,000-$52,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin May 13, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Georgia State University
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202
Georgia State University is an equal opportunity educational institution/affirmative action employer strongly committed to cultural diversity.