Guidelines for Application and Selection
The CALA Annual Jing Liao Award for
The Best Research in All Media
The pursuit of excellence in research and service was what defined the career of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and a devoted and accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The establishment of this memorial fund is to honor the memory of Jing Liao by encouraging CALA members to strive for excellence of research in all media.
Guidelines for Application
1. An award in the amount of $500 will be granted in 2013.
2. Applicants must be CALA members in good standing for three consecutive years, including the year of application;
3. Applicants must demonstrate excellence in scholarly research by publishing works in any media (e.g. print, multi-media, or e-Journals, including Open Access Journals);
4. Applicants may submit one single work published in 2012 for consideration;
5. Applicants must not be past recipients of the award.
For applications, please submit the followings:
1. A short cover letter;
2. A complete citation of your entry;
3. Full-text of your publication in PDF file;
4. A copy of your updated curriculum vitae.
1. Originality of the research;
2. Quality and thoroughness of the research and its presentation;
3. Contribution to the subject field;
4. Significance to the library profession and to the library community.
1. The CALA President appoints a Selection Committee of 3-5 members in a staggering term of two years;
2. The Committee reviews all applicants based on the above criteria;
3. The Committee recommends 2-3 finalists to the donor;
4. The donor reviews the finalists and makes the final decision.
5. The Committee announces the winner.
6. The award will be presented and a citation read at the CALA Award Banquet held annually.
7. The citation should include the following about the fund:
This fund was established in memory of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and an accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It aims to encourage CALA members to strive for excellence in research in all media.