The pursuit of excellence in research and service was what defined the career of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and a devoted and accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The establishment of this memorial fund is to honor the memory of Jing Liao by encouraging CALA members to strive for excellence in research in all media.
Guidelines for Application
1. An award in the amount of $500 will be granted annually to the author(s) of the winning publication;
2. Applicants must be CALA members in good standing for three consecutive years, including the award year;
3. Applicants must demonstrate excellence in scholarly research by publishing works in any media (e.g. print, multi-media, or e-Journals including Open Access Journals);
4. Applicants may submit one single work (in either English or Chinese) published in the previous year for consideration;
5. Applicants must not be past recipients of the award.
For applications, please submit the followings:
1. A short cover letter;
2. A complete citation of your entry;
3. Full-text of your publication in PDF file;
4. A copy of your updated curriculum vitae.
1. Originality of the research;
2. Quality and thoroughness of the research and its presentation;
3. Contribution to the subject field;
4. Significance to the library profession and to the library community.
1. The CALA President appoints a selection committee of 3-5 members in a staggering term of two years;
2. The Committee reviews all applicants based on the above criteria and makes a final decision.
3. The Committee informs the donor of its final decision.
4. The Committee announces the winner.
The award will be presented and a citation read at the CALA Award Banquet held annually. The citation should include the following about the fund:
This fund was established in memory of Jing Liao (1954-2011), a long-time CALA member and an accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It aims to encourage CALA members to strive for excellence in research in all media.