Dear CALA members,
The CALA Jing Liao Award for the Best Research in All Media Committee is now accepting applications through March 31, 2014 for research published in 2013.
The pursuit of excellence in research and service defined the career of Jing Liao (1954-2011), the late CALA member and a devoted and accomplished librarian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The CALA Jing Liao Award for the Best Research was initially established in 2011 to honor the memory of Jing Liao by awarding CALA members who achieve excellence in research in any media.
CALA members in good standing for at least three consecutive years are eligible for the competition that awards $500 annually. The deadline for 2014 submission is March 31, 2014. The applications may be submitted to the co-chairs or any of the Committee members listed below. The winner will be announced prior to the ALA annual conference in Las Vegas. The award will be presented and a citation read at the CALA Awards Banquet in June 2014.
Award Guidelines for 2014
1. An award in the amount of $500 will be granted to the author(s) of the winning publication in 2014;
2. Applicants must be CALA members in good standing for at least three consecutive years, including the award year (i.e. 2014);
3. Applicants must demonstrate excellence in scholarly research by publishing works in any media (e.g. print, multi-media, or e-Journals including Open Access journals);
4. Applicants may submit one single work (in either English or Chinese) published in 2013 for consideration;
5. Applicants must not be past recipients of the award.
1. Originality of the research;
2. Quality and thoroughness of the research and its presentation;
3. Contribution to the subject field;
4. Significance to the library profession and to the library community.
For details, please check CALA website at http://cala-web.org/node/1297.
Committee for the Jing Liao Award for the Best Research in All Media, 2013-2014:
Heather Cai (email@example.com), Co-Chair, McGill University
Vickie Fu Doll (firstname.lastname@example.org), Co-Chair, University of Kansas
Yijun Gao (email@example.com), Dominican University
Karen Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Illinois
Sharon Yang (email@example.com), Rider University
Dear colleagues and friends,
We're pleased to announce that the Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA) is offering a free one year membership to new student members, thanks to a generous donation of $1,000.00 from Dr.Tze-chung Li, Professor and Dean Emeritus of Dominican University Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences and one of the founding members of CALA. The fund left in the current year will be carried over to the next year till all fund is utilized.
1. Applicants must be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution in North America; AND
2. Applicants must be of Chinese nationality or of Chinese descent; AND3. Applicants must be new to CALA and not previously a member of CALA.
1. Each applicant must complete a CALA membership application(http://cala-web.org/membership) in full or be disqualified.
Please help spread the word!
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact any of the CALA Membership Committee members listed below.